When I go to the grocery store I cannot resist the produce section, and specifically the berry section. I must buy berries on every grocery shopping trip. Maybe I am a berry hoarder? But seriously, is there anything more delicious than sweet, fresh berries?! What about berries turned into a fabulous, warm, juicy dessert? Absolute heaven!
I was browsing an Ina Garten (aka – The Barefoot Contessa) cookbook that somehow magically appeared in my kitchen, and found an amazing recipe for Tri Berry Crumbles that had me practically licking the cookbook pages. I mean, I didn’t actually lick the book, but I did the next best thing, which was put those berries that were in my fridge to work!
I whipped up these berry crumbles and they were gone within the same evening. My family demolished them!
Tri Berry Crumble Recipe
To make this super delicious Tri Berry Crumble recipe for your hungry humans, or to eat all by yourself (no one says you have to share!) here’s what you’ll need:
For the berry filling:
-2 cups fresh blueberries
– 2 1/2 cups fresh raspberries
– 2 cups fresh strawberries (cut up into smaller chunks)
– 1/2 cup sugar
– 3 tablespoons cornstarch
– 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
– 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
For the crumble:
– 3/4 cup flour
– 3/4 cup sugar
– 1/2 cup light brown sugar
– 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
– 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– 3/4 teaspoon salt
– 1 stick of unsalted butter (room temperature)
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, toss together all three types of berries, and mix together with the rest of the ingredients for the filling. Mix until evenly coated.
3. Divide the mixture evenly into 6 creme brûlée dishes.
3. Now, make the crumble topping in the bowl of your stand mixer by combining all ingredients and mixing together on low speed with the paddle attachment. The mixture should be crumbly, yet able to be pinched together into larger crumbles.
4. Evenly sprinkle the crumble topping onto the berry filling in the dishes. It should not look perfect, and it won’t completely cover the dishes.
5. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. The topping should be browned and the filling should be bubbly. After removing from the oven, you’ll want to let these stand for a few minutes to cool down and harden a bit.
For even more deliciousness, you can pair this with a scoop of ice cream. It will be the perfect combo of hot and cold, a true delight for your tastebuds!