You know those nights when you just want to make something quick for dinner, that isn’t super unhealthy, that your kids will actually eat? There’s way too many of those night around here at our house.
The other night I threw together a quick Taco Pizza, and I was thrilled and (not gonna lie) a little shocked that my boys ate it! Woohoo, total Mom Win! Although, I could probably cover an old shoe in enough cheese and they would eat that, too.
This homemade pizza is not very difficult to make, and you can grab some pre-made pizza dough at the grocery store to cut down on prep time. Or, if you’re super short on time, pick up a ready-made pizza crust instead to really cut down on cooking time. Another idea is this gluten free pizza crust mix I just recently found on Amazon!
Ready to whip this up for dinner? Here’s what you’ll need!
Homemade Pizza – Taco Style
– 1 pound of pre-made pizza dough (pick up at your local grocery store)
– 1 pound ground turkey meat
– 1 can refried beans
– 1 bag (16oz) shredded Mexican cheese
– Additional taco-style toppings such as: sour cream, lettuce, tomato, broken tortilla chips, and whatever your taco eatin’ heart desires!
1. Begin by rolling out the pizza dough and shaping it into a pizza-like circle.
2. Meanwhile, heat your oven to the temperature indicated on the pizza dough directions.
3. Next, in a frying pan at your stovetop, brown the ground turkey meat until it is cooked all the way through.
4. Now, spread the refried beans onto the pizza dough, as if it were pizza sauce, leaving space for the crust.
5. Take the cooked turkey meat and sprinkle it on top of the refried beans.
6. Pop the pizza in the oven and cook as directed on the dough instructions (generally it will be about 15 minutes so the cheese will be melted and edges of the pizza are golden and crisp)
Slice and serve! Yum! Don’t forget to top with your favorite taco toppings. My kids opted not to do this, so they just ate it with the beans, meat, and cheese, which is pretty delicious just like that.
Find more family-friendly recipes by clicking here.