This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #YesYouCAN #CollectiveBias
There are few things in life that I love more than food. One of the few things would be my family. When you combine family and delicious homemade food (like spaghetti and meatballs)…well, that’s just perfect!
My family is of Italian heritage. My grandparents all came to the United States from Italy, and so did their recipes (thank goodness!). My dad always tells us tales of how his mother would dry out her homemade pasta on Sunday while they went to church. Then, when they came home they would have a big Italian Sunday feast!
These Italian food feasts have been a staple in our home, too. My mother has been making homemade spaghetti and meatballs for me since as far back as I can remember. I’ve watched her very carefully over the years, and I think I can finally come out and say that I think I make a better meatball than she does (sorry, Mom!)
Along side of the homemade meatballs, there’s always a big pot of spaghetti sauce cooking on the stove, no matter if I’m cooking or my mom is cooking. (My mom calls her sauce “gravy”, though)
Today I’m going to share with you a very top-secret recipe for how to make homemade Italian-style spaghetti and meatballs. One thing is for sure, this recipe is something that will WOW your family and friends over the holidays…and every time you serve this delicious dish.
Are you ready? Grab your parmigiano reggiano cheese, and let’s get cookin’!
Delicious Homemade Spaghetti and Meatballs Recipe
I’m going to break this recipe down into two main parts:
2. spaghetti sauce
Then, once you’ve cooked those, you’ll serve over cooked spaghetti (prepared according to the package instructions).
Keep in mind that these recipes are made in large batches that are perfect for feeding your family during the holidays. Leftover meatballs and spaghetti sauce also means that you can make some really awesome meatball subs the next day, too!
Here’s what you’ll need for the Homemade Meatballs Recipe
-3lb ground beef (for meatballs I prefer to use 85/15 meat because the higher fat content makes them stick together better)
-1 cups Italian breadcrumbs
-1/3 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
-1/2 cup shredded Italian cheese
-3 garlic cloves (chopped)
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp pepper
-1 tsp parsley
-extra virgin olive oil
(Makes 22 meatballs)
1.In a large bowl, mix together all meatball ingredients. Using your (super clean, freshly washed) hands is the best method to totally blend the ingredients together. If you must use a fork, that would also be equally acceptable.
2. Roll the meat into equally sized meatballs and set aside.
3. In a frying pan, heat olive oil on medium heat. You’ll want enough olive oil to rise approximately 1/2 inch in your frying pan. The amount of olive oil will depend on the size of your frying pan.
4. Fry the meatballs equally on all sides. You’ll continuously be turning them every few minutes to ensure that the meatballs evenly cooked. (Generally I make these in 3 small batches to allow space in the frying pan)
5. Remove the meatballs from the frying pan and set aside…all but 1 meatball.
6. Take that 1 most-delicious meatball and sprinkle it with a bit of salt and enjoy the deliciousness of your meatball creation while you start on the spaghetti sauce.
Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
-1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
-2 garlic cloves (chopped)
– 1 tsp salt
-1 tsp pepper
-1 tsp parsley
-(3) 29oz cans Hunt’s Tomato Sauce
– (3) 6 oz cans Hunt’s Tomato Paste
-1 bay leaf
-1 Tbsp sugar
-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1.In a large pot, add in EVOO, garlic, salt, pepper, and parsley over medium heat.
2. Once the oil is simmering a bit, add in all Hunt’s canned tomato products. I love these sauces and pastes, and have been using them in this recipe for years. Since the flavor of the tomato is intensified as the food is heated, it’s important to have a great tasting tomato product, and Hunt’s really is delicious.
3. Allow the sauce to simmer, and add in 1 bay leaf, sugar, and red pepper. Now, add in the meatballs and let them sit in the sauce for at least 30 minutes – 1 hour if you have the time. It really makes the overall flavor of the sauce super delicious.
4. Serve with al dente spaghetti, and of course some grated cheese sprinkled on top!
The Hunt’s canned tomato products used in this spaghetti and meatballs recipe can be conveniently found at your local Walmart. Don’t forget to grab a loaf of fresh Italian bread from the bakery, too, while you’re there! It’s perfect to have along side of the spaghetti and meatballs, and dip in some fresh herbs and olive oil. So good!
Want more recipe ideas for the holidays? Check out these ideas: Yes You CAN recipes.
Want some holiday dessert inspiration for something to make after dinner? Don’t miss out on these heavenly Homemade Apple Pie Bars!